Fox News interrupted as viewers slam Trump’s ‘idiotic’ Canada tariffs after Mark Carney response
Fox News was interrupted for breaking news as Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney issued a response to what viewers dubbed President Donald Trump’s “idiotic” tariffs.
On Saturday, August 22, the conservative news network paused to issue an update on the rising tensions between the U.S. and one of its largest trading partners. Carney has spoken out after Trump’s 50% tariffs on roughly $28 billion in Canadian goods took effect, saying he’s going to match it “dollar for dollar.” Fox News’ Christy Matino told viewers that the Prime Minister will unleash those retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods on September 8.

Carney also blamed the breakdown on “unfair” last-minute changes to Washington’s proposed terms. Viewers took to X to slam the president’s deal change. This comes after a Trump lackey stumbled over his defense of the ongoing Iran war during a Fox News interview.
• Melania Trump’s return after 31 days leaves fans noticing key appearance change
• Caoilfhinn Ní Choiligh is crowned Rose of Tralee – here is how to pronounce her name
One person raged, “Your felon president changed the deal last minute! Canada will not accept!”
Another fumed, “Art of the Deal = negotiate a deal, then change the terms (or ‘bomb them’).”
A third slammed, “Americans will pay these tariffs bc of Trump’s idiotic global trade war. God save us after Midterms,” as a fourth chimed in, “On Tariffs Trump continues to be an idiot, but hey – a foreign beef injection is a great distraction.”A fifth noted, “oh boy .. Can’t wait to see how much my grocery bills go UP again. Jacka– trump,” as a sixth bashed, “MAGA is falling, countries are standing up to the WORST President in history. The Fox news sheep are crying like babies and/or bullying like 12 years olds.” Yet another said, “Why does he keep hurting Americans with his tariffs?!?!? He is the absolute worst president ever!”
Carney has said the new wave of U.S. tariffs is a “miscalculation” and that it will essentially “hurt and divide us,” after trade talks stalled late on Friday night.
He added that he dropped a deal because he was not prepared to “compromise Canada’s sovereignty,” adding he felt the U.S. was “attacking” his country. “They asked too much and they offered too little,” Carney told the Canadian public on Saturday morning.
Both countries had been optimistic of making a deal earlier in the week. However, talks promptly end on Friday night after both sides accused each other of making last-minute changes.
On Friday, the U.S. Trade Representative said in a lengthy statement, “Tonight, Canada declined to finalize the trade deal under the terms agreed earlier this week. Despite the U.S. offer to Canada to receive the best treatment of any major exporter to our market, new demands and walk-backs of other commitments by Canada have upended the careful balance reached in the past days.
“In addition, Canada is continuing to maintain its prolonged retaliation against the United States, including, among other things, flat-out prohibitions on certain American goods and services.
“For decades, Canada has enjoyed the most favorable access to the U.S. market of any country. And from the beginning of President Trump’s trade program, Canada has continued to enjoy the best treatment in the world, even after, like China, retaliating against the United States.
“This week, the United States agreed to provide even better treatment to Canada, offering significant tariff reductions on steel, aluminum, autos, and lumber. The U.S. offer was also forward-looking and included a historic economic and national security partnership to cooperate on export controls, combat transshipment, enhance digital trade, and align certain external tariffs.
“The offer would have led to supply chain coordination on aerospace, complementary actions to address unfair trade practices, critical minerals cooperation, increased enforcement against imports produced with forced labor, and the announcement of formal U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) negotiations.”
The message concluded, “This is a missed opportunity for Canada to partner with the United States, which is the fastest-growing economy in the G7.”
Carney said Canada was retaliating against the U.S. tariffs “reluctantly” to protect its interests and that details will be released in the coming days.

