Air Force major detained again for Capitol protest after Trump criticism
(The Hill) — The U.S. service member who was arrested on the steps of the U.S. Capitol last month after he advocated for President Donald Trump’s impeachment was detained again, a U.S. Air Force spokesperson confirmed Wednesday evening.

U.S. Air Force Major Jason Watson was ordered into “pretrial confinement” on Tuesday, the spokesperson told The Hill.
The U.S. Air Force major’s attorney, Chris Mutimer, told CNN’s Erin Burnett on Wednesday evening that the service member was arrested on duty and taken to a county jail on Tuesday after Watson informed his chain of command that he would “no longer be wearing his uniform.”
Mutimer told CNN he had spoken with Watson and confirmed his client is “doing well.”
The attorney said Watson’s legal team was awaiting the government’s evidence in this case ahead of a detention hearing on Thursday, and the service member has not yet been informed of his charges.
Watson’s detainment follows his Monday interview with Burnett, during which he defended his decision to call for the impeachment of Trump and Vice President JD Vance on the Capitol steps in July. The service member was protesting the U.S. military action against Venezuela, Cuba and Iran under the Trump administration at the time.
“We just have to be willing to accept that we can change what is happening in our country if we’re just willing to pay a price for it,” Watson told CNN on Monday. “So, all that I could do is ask myself what’s the highest price that I’m willing to pay?”
An Air Force spokesperson told The Hill the case against Watson is still “under investigation” and confirmed he had not been formally charged as of Wednesday evening.
“Military members are required to comply with the Uniform Code of Military Justice and all applicable regulations,” the spokesperson said in a statement. “Based on probable cause to support allegations of continued misconduct, Maj. Watson was ordered into pretrial confinement on Aug. 18, 2026.”
Mutimer told CNN he expected charges tied to Articles 88 and 92 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, which cover “contempt toward officials” and “failure to obey order or regulation,” respectively.
“He is facing significant jail time possibly. He is facing discharge from the military,” the attorney told CNN. “Depending how the government wants to stack charges or bring charges against him, we could be looking at serious jail time.”

